Monday, April 26, 2010

Cloth Diapers






So anyone who knows me knows that I seriously love cloth diapers-I find the world of cloth diapering extremely fascinating. Not only do I appreciate the styles, colors, and fabrics of everything out there, I also love the anthropology of cloth diapering.



H (Steve), on the other hand, was not as "gung ho" when I brought up switching from disposable to cloth. I assume he felt it was another pricey "idea" that I wanted to incorporate into our life. As usual, I managed to sway his somewhat leery self with a cost saving argument, though the eco-friendliness of cloth diapers equally swayed my own decision.

People who know me probably aren't surprised to hear that I chose the seemingly more difficult route-I mean, that is pretty much classic me! Still, just like breast feeding, cloth diapering has had a tremendous impact on my life and my role as a mother in the twenty-first century. I feel oddly powerful every time I reach for a prefold, pocket, or all-in-one diaper. I feel proud when I wash and dry the diapers on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. And while I realize that cloth certainly is not for everyone, it is for me-for us, really. Everyone should pick what works for their own life and family-boy am I a firm believer in that!

H loves using cloth and has even admitted that the environmentally friendliness of the diapers is another great reason to use cloth. Once you start using cloth diapers, you quickly realize that cloth wipes are a must, too. And while you are on board with all of those crunchy things, why not add a side of good ol' home made wipe solution as well?

Here is my recipe:



a turn of evoo
a few drops of your preferred baby soap/shampoo
1 1/2 cups of water
2 drops of tea tree essential oil
4 drops of lavender essential oil

Mothers who cloth diaper often enter the world of home made baby food, and yes, we have ventured there as well. Not only can we save money, we can also control what goes into our little girl's tummy, and that, my friends, is a BIG plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment