Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Research Released--Ear Infections

Dalia has had one ear infection since she was born. And I have to admit it was a pretty miserable few days. Of course her temp was 103 and she was really really super really cranky (did I make that point clear?). We took her to the doctor and the doctor prescribed antbx. Well, my mommy mind kicked in and I doubted filling the prescription. I doubted it the whole way home. I ended up filling it. Then we debated giving it to her at the table for 20 minutes. Something told me no, but then we decided yes. So we ended up giving it to her (I still feel this was the wrong decision. My friend shared an alternative remedy with me just hours later).

She, of course, developed hives, a sure sign on an allergic reaction. Hmmm... I did tell the doctor that I am allergic (and having a parent that is allergic makes it more likely that the child will be). Needless to say I was annoyed that the doctor didn't prescribe something else just because.

Oh well.

Check this out. I love when research that supports what we feel is correct is released! This has been researched for a long time with similar results, but I like when stuff continues to come out. From DOCTORS, too!

Obviously some infections require anbtx, so always check with you MD or ND :)

Now the alternatives:

Herbal Wellness for Kids (made by Rainbow Light)

Onions and garlic are known to have anti-bacterial properties. Warm onion juice can be used as an eardrop. You can also warm up two garlic cloves in a couple of teaspoons of mustard oil until the oil turns black. Once it is cool, this oil can then be used as a simple home remedy for ear infection.

You can put together two drops of lavender oil, two of chamomile oil, and three drops of tea tree oil in an almond oil solution. Use this mixture, slightly warmed up, as an eardrop three times a day. Chamomile is also known to sooth inflammation, and tea tree oil has well documented anti-microbial properties.

Warm washcloths over the ear can help with pain as well

There are so many ways to deal with ear infections. Do you have any other natural remedies?


No comments:

Post a Comment