Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Dream Doctor: 6 Month Check Up

If there is one thing we are sure of with regard to this parenting thing, it is that we selected a pediatrician that is exactly the right fit for our family. Our 6-month check up just reinforced this in a big way.

Robert Minkus is an attachment parenting parent's dream doctor. He is extremely supportive of (but does not force or look down on your for not) 1. breast feeding (extended breast feeding, even) 2. cloth diapering 3. co-sleeping 4. alternate vaccine scheduling (delayed Hep B and MMR shots) 5. baby led soliding 6. natural "remedying" before medicating. If this weren't enough, he is also the most reasonable, caring, compassionate, uplifting, knowledgeable doctor we have ever met. How lucky we are to have found his practice.

Our visit was great! Dalia weighs over 17 pounds and is in the 80th percentile for weight. She is 25 1/2 inches tall, which puts her in the 46th percentile for height. We talked about solids, waiting on administering the MMR vaccine until she is two or three, sleeping habits, and the hot "organic vs. not" topic. My preference (this is Sarah talking, and please do not think that I think my personal preference is right for you or your family) is to buy local over organic any day of the week. So much of the organic food sold comes from around the world, and while the idea of eating less chemicals is appealing to many, including me, is the process of buying, selling, and stocking these foods really in line with the supposed message of being environmentally friendly? It takes just as much energy to fly an organic mango around the world and into Whole Foods as it does an inorganic one. Perhaps the chemical free aspects do outweigh this for some people, but for me, the better option is local (which is often organic anyways, but that is another story all together).

We can't WAIT to start shopping at our local outdoor market-we can actually meet the people who grew our food. Now THAT is worth the extra buck or two (or four).

The one thing our pediatrician did say is to stick with organic milk (he listed tons of research and reasons, but I will spare you). So we will likely start buying a different, more expensive milk, but in the end, I think the extra money spent will be well worth it. H is having a hard time with this idea, but as always, he will come around. It is all about what works for you and your family, and that is the most important thing to take away from all of this.

Unfortunately, (but also fortunately) we are moving in July and are in the process of finding a new pediatrician (and place to live) for the year. No plans are set in stone, but we will probably venture back to the good old midwest after our year in DC. Not only will it be great to be near my family for a little while (we will probably end up on the coast again within 5 years), Chicago also wins for having the best "cost of living vs salary". The housing prices are affordable here, even for something in a hip and diverse neighborhood, such as East Roscoe Village, or a Jewish area close to Lake Michigan, such as Rogers Park. Perhaps we can be real suburbanites and get a nice place in Northbrook! Preliminary searching shows that we could get something fantastic in a great area for much less than what the costs are in the greater DC area.

So, if anyone out there knows of a Dr. Minkus twin practicing in the DC area let us know!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know what attachment parenting was until I read this, but was surprised, because it sounds like me, although I feel afraid to mention to my doctor that I co-sleep...I have no idea what her reaction would be. I also plan on doing the delayed vaccines too (already turned down them doing the hep B in the hospital...I told them I don't plan on letting my newborn use IV drugs just yet...). I also hope my doctor understands that I'm not going to be giving him any solids until he really wants them...as all solids are 'practice' before the age of one anyways...hehe.
    I hope you find another great doctor! They are so hard to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of doctors do not think it is a good idea, but for the breastfeeding mommy, it is really convenient (to a point... I mean Dalia sleeps in her crib most nights now, but didn't at first).

    The vaccine thing is totally a personal choice. We did a lot of research and thought about it a lot and considered our pedi's philosophy...

    They are hard to come by, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you love your pedi-- it was a process for us to find one we really like. And Dalia is getting so big-- good job, girl!

    I have very similar thoughts on local food. We are trying to stick with local organics so we are just sort of passing on foods like mango for now. The less processing, gas mileage, etc. etc., the better! There is an organic farm pretty close to us, and I can't wait for their season to kick into full gear.

    And good luck with your moving plans! It's so much work. We're going to be here until Dave finishes his M.A., but then we are headed wherever he finds his best employment/Ph.D. option soooo who knows where we will be headed next summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. my brothers and I all went to McLean Pediatrics and saw Dr. Davoli was our main Dr. (he must be very old now), then Dr. Everst was his Jr. partner, and now there's Dr. Lam (she's great). I always appreciated that they washed their hands with warm water as they came into the exam rooms so that they had warm/clean hands. The office is pretty dull, but the Drs. are always available and fixed up my brothers and I many times over 20+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin-Move to DC or Chicago! If you ever come to Chicago you have to meet Dr. Minkus. He is always taking new patients. He says that if he said no to people then people who really need him (and people he really needs) will not be able to get the care they desire. He realizes there are not many people like him out there and wants to help as many families as possible. You have to book far in advance, but if you care to have him you just go with the flow :)

    So move to Maryland with us! Or move to Chicago with us! I might be getting my PhD from UMaryland-they have good funding...

    ReplyDelete