Sunday, June 27, 2010

Banning Doulas

This post on a blog I frequent, Dou-la-la, is totally upsetting.

I would probably drive across state lines or have a home birth if the practices near me put up a sign like this. Unbelievable! Offices that allow for and assist in natural childbirth care more about the laboring woman, her unborn child, and the connection/bond between the family! They aren't as worried about being sued or getting back to their lattes and ordering an emergency cesarean. Midwives understand that labor takes time and that women's bodies know what to do. There are obvious cases when complications arise (and those should be dealt with on a case by case basis) but any place that has a sign like that up in their office is definitely not for me.



2 comments:

  1. woah...really now? I just read that. Wow. I am..really..shocked. Now, I know I am one of those few people whos body just didn't want to go into labor...even with the pitocin...but I still got to make every single decision during my stay. (how else did i still have a vaginal delivery 48 hours after my water broke!).
    99.9% of woman's bodies know just what to do...with no medical intervention. If not..how would the human race still be here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you! That sign is very upsetting. A woman should be able to have a doula or participate in any method she chooses. What a terrible practice! I would not want to have them as my doctor. Even if I wasn't interested in any of those things I wouldn't choose to be cared for by people that don't care about their patients needs.

    ReplyDelete